The club was founded in August 2011 and officially registered with the BFA (British Finswimming Association) in November 2011. In December 2011 the club widened its availability of training times and venues, and joined with Sandfinswimmers, a club serving the Durham and Sunderland areas.
Payment for training sessions must be made monthly and will entitle the swimmer to
a minimum of four sessions, organised by the club. Payment can be made in cash, by
cheque or directly into the following account:
Northern Lights Finswimming Club
Sort code: 30-90-50
Account : 32728868
Payment must be made in advance by the 5th of the month.
From the beginning of this season membership is compulsory for everyone who wishes to take part in our training sessions. The annual subscription depends upon the age of the member.
Annual club membership fees will be :
|Category||CMAS age group||Fee|
|Child||E (11 years old or less, pre-competition)||£20|
|Youth||B - 16 - 17 years old|
C - 14 - 15 years old
D - 12 - 13 years old
|Adult, or Senior||A - 18 - 24 years old||£40|
|Masters, Veterans||V0 - 25 -34 years old|
V1 - 35 - 44 years old
V2 - 45 - 54 years old
Being a member of the BFA has many benefits for you and your club. The Association has a diverse membership.
It welcomes members from any racial, religious or sexual background and will never permit discrimination in any form.
The Association welcomes disabled individuals but asks any disabled individuals to make contact with the National Coach to discuss whether the sport would be appropriate.
The membership benefits include:
- Being able to compete in British competitions and certain competitions abroad,
- Being covered by a third part liability insurance that covers training and competitions both in the UK and abroad. It also covers some other underwater sports,
- Being able to contact coaches and other clubs around the country,
- Having access to the support services provided by the British Finswimming Association, such as support in applying for local sporting initiatives, such as the Free Access for National Sportspeople (FANS) scheme,
- Having access to coaching and teaching schemes and qualifications,
- Having access to qualifications such as the BFA’s “Safe Entry into the Water” certificate (required for competition and by some local council pools) and the “Immersion Certificate” (required for Immersion racing and training),
- Have access to sports science knowledge through the British Finswimming Association’s coaches’ workshops,
- Discounts when ordering from Mailsports, an online watersports clothing and equipment retailer.
This list is not exclusive but gives an indication of membership benefits. Fees will be payable monthly in advance FOR THE NUMBER OF SESSIONS BOOKED BY THE CLUB, equivalent to £6 per session - example £36 if the club has booked 6 sessions for the month, £30 if the club has booked 5 sessions for the month and so on. The number of sessions for any given month will be updated in good time for the beginning of that month.